About the center
NATIONAL METHAMPHETAMINE TRAINING & TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE CENTER
Latest news
Latest news
Latest news: 06-17-2010


What are the health risks for children living in meth homes?

IN - You know the health dangers meth causes for adults, but what about the children exposed to it everyday. On Thursday, June 10 a meth lab exploded in a West Terre Haute home leaving one man with serious burns. However, he wasn't alone his three children were also home. The children were not harmed in the explosion, but they have been exposed to these harmful chemicals. The home in West Terre Haute was a volatile place where an 11-month-old baby, a 5-year-old and 7-year-old were living.
Not to mention the explosion could have been a lot worse. "When you find the amount of anhydrous ammonia that was found in proportion to the Coleman fuel, it's a bad combination," Vigo County Drug Task Force officer Denzil Lewis said.

Full story, WTHI-TV


Meth ring-leader used child to move drugs

CO - A local organization with ties to Denver and Mexico pumped up to 5 pounds of methamphetamine into the Grand Valley on a weekly basis, while returning $300,000 per month in profits to Mexico, a prosecutor told a judge Wednesday. Dawn Michelle Ortiz-Ramirez, 35, 662 Crossing St., is being held on $500,000 bond at the Mesa County Jail on suspicion of conspiracy, distribution of a controlled substance and sentence-enhancing special-offender charges. Chief Deputy District Attorney Dan Rubinstein said Ortiz-Ramirez headed up a local network of dealers, collectors and runners, while personally earning between $5,000 and $10,000 weekly from the business. Ortiz-Ramirez used a young child on at least one occasion to move drugs, the prosecutor alleged.

Full story, The Grand Junction Daily Sentinal


Lab fire consumed towns emergency resources

Buffalo, MO - Law officers say the methamphetamine lab explosion east of town on Monday afternoon was a dangerous situation. "You never know what you're going to be into when you get called," said Jamie George with the Buffalo Rural Fire Department. George has seen a lot in his 38 years as a volunteer firefighter. The situation on Monday was something he had never experienced and didn't sign up for. Three pit bull terriers latched on to him and never to let go.

Full story, from KY3-TV


News archives